Sometimes our closest friends really do become our family. Whether you’re unable to spend Thanksgiving with the traditional family, or choose to surround yourself with a family of friends, Natural Grocers has you covered. We have the ingredients and 100% organic produce you’ll need to plan the perfect Friendsgiving event.
But it’s more than just tasty dishes and warm feelings. Here are some helpful tips to keep the stress low and keep the fun going strong.
1. Go potluck style.
Don’t try to take on all the food prep responsibilities yourself! Create a shared Google Doc, a Facebook Event or an email thread and have Friendsgiving attendees sign up for various dishes. If you’re hosting the get-together, it’s customary to provide the main course — the turkey! Lucky for you, Natural Grocers proudly serves Mary’s Free-Range Turkeys®, with Non-GMO, Organic and Heritage options available. For all the other dishes, consider creating a few categories to make sure you don’t end up with too much of one thing and not enough of something else:
- Breads (Gluten-Free, too)
2. Prep the night before.
There’s no reason you need to stress out the day of the party. Do as much party prep leading up to the big day. Here are some easy pre-party tasks to complete before your guests arrive:
- Set out place settings — plates, silverware, napkins and cups
- Empty trashcans — and maybe even have a few extra on hand
- Wipe down counters, dust, and mop and make sure the bathrooms are clean
- Set up decorations — a few well-placed fall leaves, cornucopias or scented candles can really spruce up a room!
- Food prep — any cold dishes (salads, fruit dishes, etc.) that are served cold can be premade and stored in the refrigerator or freezer overnight. You can also pre-chop, dice or mince any ingredients for day-of recipes to save you time.
- Confirm RSVPs! This is a big one, especially if you’re relying on your guests to provide important parts of the Friendsgiving feast! Follow up with guests and make sure they’re ready to bring the dish (or dishes) they signed up for.
3. Plan for some fun.
There’s no shortage of party games to choose from. But having a few fun activities ready to go can help keep people entertained once the meal is over. Here are some of our favorites:
- Charades — Requires nothing but a willing group and some imagination.
- Trivia — From card games to mobile apps, a rousing game of trivia is a great way to keep the festivities going.
- Gift Card Exchange — Everyone brings a gift card; you throw them all in a bag; then you have everyone reach in and see what they end up with! Give the gift of good4u food with a Natural Grocers gift card.
- Card Games — Poker? Apple to Apples? Card Against Humanity? The options are endless.
4. Have a leftovers game plan.
Chances are you’re going to end up with lots of leftovers. Ask guests to bring their own containers, or purchase a bulk pack of reusable, sealable leftover containers and ask guests to take a few scoops of their favorite dishes before they leave. It saves you from having to clean it all up yourself, and saves you from a fridge full of too many leftovers to eat!
5. Have fun!
It’s a time to be thankful, after all. You’ll be surrounded by friends who care about you — enjoy the moment and don’t let the stress of the day get in the way.
Need some recipe ideas? Check out our latest good4u Thanksgiving Day recipes for some truly delicious, good4u meals your guests will love.